Tuesday, July 26, 2011

What we call civilization

In old beautiful days of my childhood my father took us (my brother and I) on bicycle trips across Poland. I don't remember much from the earliest trips as I was from four to seven years old, but I do remember the later trips when I was around twelve. That thing western countries call civilization looked completely different on this side of the Berlin Wall. 
First travel: The idea for our trips was quite simple: get kids on the bicycles, add some sightseeing and you have very good two weeks of vacation. The key to everything was preparation. The only available option - especially location wise - were Youth Hostels, in old days located usually in schools in many small villages and in almost every bigger town. In many of them the requirement of reservation was the only way to ensure someone will wait for you with the keys to open the door. I remember amazing small village called Narty, the school was in small wooden house, non existing bathroom and well in the yard... it was so peaceful place. Of course the only way to make a reservation was to send a letter with dates we will come, for how long will we stay and how many people are in our group, oh and don't forget to put in a postcard with a post stamp already and addressed back so we can send you a confirmation. 


Today I browse the internet to find the cheapest hostel or room for rent, pay with my credit card before leaving home and have confirmation within minutes. There are no places like Narty anymore... 



Second Food: Whenever you're traveling the option to eat "out" is the most available, sometimes you can rent an apartment with kitchen and cook for yourself, mostly you eat on the go. In the time of our travels finding a place to eat dinner sometimes was a challenge. Like the time when we were going to Wąchock, the road was difficult and long, and as the only restaurant we found along had only vodka (not really advised for children...) our only choice was small private grocery store. Dad bought all sausage they had (one whole jess!!) few buns and chocolate... we ate and didn't protest. It might not have been the best balanced meal but it was great till we get to next point where probably there will be restaurant or other place we could eat in. No there were no "diners", they still are none in Poland (at least in the matter I understand them).


Third Beverages: Lucky for us there were plenty! My fuel was of course Coca-Cola much more popular than Pepsi, and available almost everywhere. We used  to estimate level of civilization based on how our Cola was given. The levels raised depending on temperature, Ice, lemon and straws. The highest level was only given when all four were provided, oh and let's not forget the toilet... without the toilet all civilization points were scratched!


Fourth Sightseeing: In the years I spent on bicycle, whenever it was my dad that pedaled or myself I have seen almost everything major that is too see in Poland, plus lots of minor things. The key in our situation was preparation. The whole route planning was done based on normal paper maps and books with historical and not only descriptions of what is worth seeing in that particular place. We spent months preparing descriptions, deciding where will we stop, where will sleep, what will we see. It was amazing how many information you would put together - including how many kilometers you are going to travel each day. We used to make in average 80 km per day, stopping three to four times for sightseeing and food. 


Today I sit with my laptop and browse city sites to see what is interesting to see. Usually forget whatever I have read when I'm already on site, but then I can always get to a cafe with free wi-fi and read more on the topic. Sipping something cold or something warm. Today measure of civilization is free wi-fi access.


Five Adventure: Traveling in two weeks around 1000 kilometers is adventure itself. Sleeping in beautiful small schools, amazing views, some bickering with father and brother. The small troubles that at the time seemed like the biggest problem in your life - no food at restaurant, mixed reservation with perspective of sleeping on a bench in the park.... or dad loosing his way and directing us wrong adding another hour of travel. That was amazing and beautiful time.


Thank you daddy! It's still possible to take a bicycle and try the adventure, but it will never have the same taste.

3 comments:

  1. What kind of bike were you on? I did some travelling last summer on my Montague folding bike and had an absolute blast. It wasn't even a worry leaving the bike outside overnight, since I could take it into the hostel or hotel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LJB well at that time there were no folding bikes, there were only street bikes, and the speed bikes, nothing to choose from. Folding bike is cool idea, I could use one now to go to work and just fold it and set beside my desk :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These were locally produced "tourist" bikes, variants of a road sports bike from that era - a 17kg, steel-framed bike on 27" wheels. Nothing fancy by modern standards, but rugged and (generally) reliable.

    - Nieseryjna's brother

    ReplyDelete