Saturday, July 2, 2011

The weather from hell is good for reading

While I was obsessed with weather for the past few days, just after the concert I completely forgot that they still forecast rain for weekend. It was actually pouring when I woke up, unusually late for me (well unusually for my new habit of waking at 6 AM, but normal for my old habits of sleeping till noon), but I still think it's only fair in that weather. 


Deciding I'm too lazy to move around I took a book to finish reading - Fuchsia Dunlop " Shark’s Fin and Sichuan Pepper" was brought to me by mom last week. It's not only a cook book, hmm it's more like a dairy, story about China and Fu Xia (her Chinese name) adventures starting from early '90. Through her eyes you can see incredible amount of kinds of food that do exist, and how the country changed through the years. It's kinda sad that with so amazing culinary history the country is slowly going the same way as most European countries do - into full McDonalysation. Fast food, without taste, completely unhealthy, and filling only temporary. 


The book despite describing tone of foods I would never, ever even try made me hungry!! Very, very worth reading also for amazing number of historical information about China and really unique view of someone that is currently "half-Chinese" (after spending fifteen years on and off in China, and immersing herself in culture so much that she is speaking about Sichuan as hers)


Read it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment