Thursday, July 14, 2011

Cultural Thursday

Thursday the magic day of "museum entry free" will be another part of do something outside home program. Which works quite nice for me as I have exactly 1 hour to visit a chosen exhibition before the museum closes the gates.

Today it was the "Amber - Baltic Sea Gold" - tiny, tiny exhibition, but the few pieces I saw, quite good descriptions and the interactive information board were okay. Without an old movie and the board it would probably take 15 minutes to see everything in detail... it took more as I took notes and played around on the computer. 

Exhibition link will take you to the most impressive piece I saw - a cabinet. Really beautiful made from amber, ivory, mother-of-pearl, skin and wood. 

There are about 20 names to types-coloring of amber, it's not so easy to say what color it is, I saw almost white pieces till dark brown (still possible to see through). I saw some really amazing contemporary works, and one that was absolutely amazing was Faberge Egg made for Gdansk 1000th city anniversary (unfortunately that one is also only on the komputer).


If you have spare 15 minutes go and take a look, I think it's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment