Thursday, November 10, 2011

NaNoWriMo Update

NaNo the ultimate challenge for anyone that like to write and decide to take it on is exhausting, really. The longest story I wrote so far had around 20K of words.... and it took me over four months to write, with several writing blocks in between.

For NaNo the challenge is to  write 50K words in maximum 30 days... impossible? Actually not, I'ts day ten and I wrote yesterday less than the NaNo standard expected 1667 words, but still I'm ahead of the average plan. Why? Because I planned to write 2500 words a day and till now skipped only four times, two of them were recovered during the weekend when I simply wrote whatever count I needed to hit my goal. As I wasn't able to do it also for the last two days it seems there will be need for some recovery during the weekend.

Current lessons from WriMo...

  1. Having an outline is helping a lot
  2. No problem that I had gaps in the outline, my story decided to write itself a little and suddenly something that was in the outline in Chapter 3 was written as late as in Chapter 5
  3. If you let your mind wonder and just write the story and characters will come to you - like a pair of detectives that I never through about when making an outline and characters list
  4. It's possible to write 2500 words daily on normal working day
  5. It take's more to write the words than I through it will. Taking into consideration I was practicing on 750words.com for three months and I knew how fast I write, it's still slower... maybe because I think to much?
  6. Thinking about your story is good, editing it right away - nope. For NaNo you need to squash or even kill your inner editor to survive. For now I allow my editor to just mumble around and fix some obvious mistakes when I make a read a day after. And allow to think that some scenes will need to be moved, but only after I have everything written.
  7. I'm on 18K words right now almost 19K, and still 31K to go... and I still believe I can do it! 

1 comment: