Thursday, September 1, 2011

Google offensive

Long awaited, at least by me, changes to Bogger have come. Google is re-designing all of their tools to follow the same design as Google+. Gmail, Docs, Calendar, Translate, Search all already followed with the experimental switch - for all those that want to test new design a link shows up to switch. If you don't like it you can go back to traditional view.


I like the new ones. Smooth, easy, clear. That's what I like. It's little big - designed more for big screens that my small 12" laptop but it's not something that interferes much. When I started to use G+ I read quite quickly that there will be also change coming to Blogger, and finally there it is!


It's follows the sleek look that other products now have, uses the same clear types, options and settings. Cool stuff. Stats now are easy to see right away on dashboard, but the screen to write your post start incredibly small... 


Oh..I just wrote enough for the "page" I started writing on to automatically extend to a "full page view" - cool!!


The posts settings are on right hand column easy to access without need to scroll down the screen you are writing on. And the automatic change of the page is fantastic, I like to see what I'm writing without need to have to move back and forth. What I would like to see would be a word counter that shows also on the settings how many words I've produced... but hey for that I can use 750words.com page that I use anyway for my daily writing exercise. 


Playing around with options - most have the new look, some not yet - I clicked something in statistics page and found myself back in the old blogger view. Otherwise seems that first day of launch was quite stressful. 


On other Google news the Offline Gmail, Docs and Calendar are back! Google announced yesterday that they are rolling out the functionality back based on HTML5. For Gmail you will need an app from google web store, but it seems calendar and docs can work without it. I will see cos for now I can't find either the app or the option in the docs to use them offline. In the past there was a tool named google gears that allowed to work on some of them offline, now there is an app to install into Chrome. Need to research if it's also available for other web browsers.

No comments:

Post a Comment